Hundreds of thousands of people become disabled due to injury or illness every year. Chronic disability remains one of the most expensive health problems facing modern society which develops gradually and is complex in its causes; affecting all parts of the body, chronic pain can involve the tissues, bodily systems and mind. As chronic disability is multidimensional and different for every patient, it is never adequately addressed with a one-dimensional treatment prescription. Effective comprehensive treatment fosters self-awareness within the patient and encourages them with self-management strategies.
Why Choose Progressive Rehab?
Our team of health professionals for patients seeking pain management and recovery includes the Progressive Rehab physiotherapists, occupational therapists, chiropractors, massage therapist, and kinesiologists. Our focus is to create an individualized, goal-oriented, graded activity reactivation program with self-monitoring strategies. The primary goal of our pain management program is to restore function and improve the quality of life for individuals suffering from chronic disability.
The Progressive Rehab team can help you reach recovery goals, such as:
- Establishing an individualized, goal-oriented, activity reactivation program
- Setting up self-monitoring strategies for effective recovery
- Returning to normal, daily activities and resuming the most functional, independent, productive lifestyle possible
- Education on pain science, pacing, energy conservation and the use of adaptive equipment, if applicable to the patient
- Increasing physical strength, endurance, and flexibility
- Minimizing pain behaviors
- Learning stress-management techniques
- Resuming leisure and recreational activities
- Improving interpersonal relationships
- Reducing reliance on healthcare professionals, while improving ability to self-manage chronic pain
- Assisting with community and work re-integration using the Progressive Goal Attainment Program
- Work specific conditioning and return to work co-ordination
When treating chronic pain at Progressive Rehab, we use a holistic approach addressing the musculoskeletal, psychosocial and functional needs of the client. Along with collaborating with the external medical team, addressing psychosocial concerns (like fear of re-injury, high perceived disability, pain focused behavior) using the Progressive Goal Attainment Program (PGAP) is critical in optimizing clients’ functional recovery.
What is the Progressive Goal Attainment Program (PGAP)?
PGAP is an evidence-based treatment program for reducing disability associated with pain, depression, cancer and other chronic health conditions. This approach involves utilization of structured activity scheduling, education on pacing, pain science, graded activity involvement, goal setting, problem solving and motivational enhancement.
The primary goals of PGAP are as follows:
- To reduce psychosocial barriers to rehabilitation progress
- To decrease fear of re-injury, decreased perceived disability
- To promote re-integration into life-role activities
- To increase quality of life despite pain
- To facilitate and get client ready for work and community re-integration
This is a 10-week program offered in home or in clinic environment depending on the individualized needs of the client. This program can be offered in conjunction with work conditioning or active exercise treatment as appropriate.